Sunday 21 April 2013

One gluten-free meal


     What could I have for supper? Despite the “eat less meat” suggestion, for the time being I am continuing to have 2 servings of meat per day. I don’t really know what the talking heads mean by less, anyway. And are they talking to me? Or are they talking to the people in the TV commercials, who eat brekkie at Tim’s and lunch at Wendy’s and supper at The Keg? So, for my supper, I poached a skinless, boneless chicken breast --  thawed, cut  up, and cooked in 1-2 cups of water to which I added a couple of tablespoons of lemon juice and some Mrs. Dash spice, and some garlic powder. When there was no more pink showing in the chicken, I tossed in half of a red pepper that had been languishing in my crisper – not very crisp now, but I’m sure it’s all right to eat. I just took out the seeds, chopped it up and threw it in. I don't get to the store for fresh veg more than once a week, and sometimes if the weather is bad, I don't even get there that often. Fresh vegetables and fruits should be the basis of my diet, but fresh is not always possible.
     Meanwhile, I cooked some quinoa. This is not really cheap when compared to white rice, but you don’t gobble it up like white rice, either, and it is a good source of protein. I rinsed a half-cup of it, then simmered it for 20 minutes in a cup of water in a covered pot. Easy-peasy. I like to spice it up with some Indian Masala spice, and a couple of tablespoons of dried fruit such as raisins, dried apricots or cranberries.
     When the chicken and red pepper were done, I added a tablespoon of brown rice flour and a tablespoon of soy protein powder to a couple tablespoons of cold water, blended it into a paste, and whisked it into the chicken water, stirring occasionally for a few minutes until it was thickened and the starch was cooked. I know, I know – eat less starch.  Well, I am pretty sure that’s less than many eat. I added the quinoa to the chicken mixture, gave it a couple of good stirs, and there was supper for two in only 20 minutes. I finished up the meal with grapefruit, also a bit languish-y, but still edible. I don’t know exactly what it cost, but I am pretty sure it was less than a couple of meals at The Keg. It contained little fat, little salt, little refined starch, little sugar, lots of protein and lots of fiber. 
     It can be done!

No comments:

Post a Comment