Thursday 18 April 2013

What to eat?


     The Internet and the “talking heads” on TV are full of great advice about what I should eat, or not eat. I have already got directives from my doctor not to eat dairy, eggs, saturated fat, other fat, sugar and refined starches, gluten ... I think that about covers it. Today I received free advice that I should eat less meat, less grain, less starchy vegetables, and less fruit. I think that what remains is green, leafy vegetables. Wouldn’t you know it – although I am not picky about food, it so happens that the one thing I really dislike is green, leafy vegetables.  This was not good news coming as it did soon before lunch. What to eat? It’s a couple of weeks since I got to the store for fresh veggies. Oh, yeah, I should eat less canned food because of the high sodium content – and it turns out I have a lot of canned stuff on hand, because I don’t get to the store for fresh veg all that often.  In the end, I made a casserole out of wild rice, canned turkey flakes (both rinsed really well to remove about half the sodium) and broccoli, the only fresh veg I had in the fridge.  Had an orange, too. It was pretty good. 
     Necessity is the mother of invention, they say. To be gluten-free, you might have to do some inventing!

No comments:

Post a Comment